I always called it making silly faces, but it turns out it's called face yoga. And it's good for the skin in your face and neck! I don't know about you, but I love my products and beauty routine to be all-natural. I would never consider a facelift or botox, so this just kind of made my day!
Now, as with everything out there I have to say I've also read opposing thoughts especially from surgeons who don't agree with the concept of stretching your face to make it smoother. I say if anything, the takeaway of this is a more relaxed face and who wouldn't want that anyway? The way this works is in two ways: there are "poses" in which you basically stretch the neck, move the jaw, stick the tongue out, and there are other moves in which you massage your face to promote circulation and relaxation of the facial muscles.
Doing some research online I found facial exercises like these on the Marie Claire site or these by Byrdie. But I also found out about something called Sukshma Yoga, also referred to as Subtle Yoga. According to The Art of Living, "Sukshma Yoga is that which penetrates subtle levels. It is an ancient but comparatively unknown form of Yoga and is very simple to perform. Sukshma Yoga is basically subtle yogic warm ups with gentle stretching and coordinated breathing that results in deep relaxation."
How to practice face yoga
In their article, which you can read entirely here, they describe the following exercises to achieve tension release and practice face yoga:
- Pinch your eyebrows 5-6 times using your thumb and the index figure. (side note: did you know that we use 72 muscles to frown and only half the muscles to smile? yah.)
- Roll your eyes 5-6 times clockwise and then anticlockwise.
- Squeeze your eyes tight and then open them wide. Repeat this for 10-15 times.
- Pull your ears for 10-15 seconds. Scientists say that all the nerves that increase Pragya (awareness) are located in the lower part of the ear. Sometimes parents or teachers pull children's ears to increase their awareness and reduce the chances of making a mistake. If you pull your ears, no one will have to pull your ears.
- Hold your ears and move them clockwise and anti-clockwise (as if riding a bicycle) till your ears become hot.
- Move three fingers (first, middle, and ring finger) from the jaw line to chin and massage your cheeks. You could keep your mouth open as you do this. Did you find knots in the space between your jaws? This is a place where stress hides. See how 'knotty' you have been and iron out all the knots.
- Open and close your jaw 8-10 times.
- Open your mouth and move your jaw side-to-side 8-10 times.
- Rotate your neck. Breathing in, take your head back and breathing out touch your chin to chest. Rotate your head in clockwise direction. Breathe in as you go up (first half of the circle) and breathe out as you return to the starting position (second half of the circle). Repeat this 5-6 times in clockwise and then anti-clockwise.
- Shake your hands for 2 minutes. If you are wondering with what intensity you need to shake, watch how dogs and cats shake when they don't want water to stay on their bodies. They just shrug it all off and move on. So shake, shake, shake your hands and slowly bring them to a halt and sit still.
So there you have it, face yoga. Some of these you can practice using our Elixir No. 1, which will get you wonderful results.
See ya next time! Share if you loved and leave us your thoughts below!